Why Thoughts Matter
We often blame the weather or the dark evenings, or other events, for our unhappiness. For causing our stress and anxiety. But you don’t have to respond this way. For many people, the dark evenings represent cosiness and warmth. Some of us like a rainy day! So these external conditions and events cannot be the cause of our unhappiness or anxiety.
It is actually our thought processes or our response to these conditions and events, that causes anxiety.
Your brain is wired in such a way that every thought releases chemicals. Negative thoughts release stress chemicals like adrenaline and cortisol which reduce the brain’s ability to function effectively. Solving problems, creating memories, concentrating – all become harder. These ‘negative thought” chemicals also affect your sleep quality and have a generally detrimental impact on your health. Physical and mental.
On the other hand, positive thoughts give your brain a reward – the chemical serotonin. Serotonin makes you feel motivated, confident, optimistic, calm and in control. Serotonin can even help to manage physical pain.
Are You a Glass Half Full or a Glass Half Empty Person?
Half Full – Congratulations! This gives you many positive outcomes:
- Increased life expectancy
- Good mental health
- Effective coping strategies
- Success at work and in sport
- A stronger immune system and the ability to make the best possible recovery from illness and surgery
Half Empty – It’s never too late to change!
You can train your brain to reduce negative thoughts so that it rewires itself and you become more positive.
To retrain your brain however, does require effort and commitment. This is where Solution Focused Hypnotherapy can help.
Solution Focused Hypnotherapy teaches you how the brain works and how you can use your mind to adapt in these 2 steps:
- Solution Focused talking therapy is oriented to the future. We don’t focus on your problems or on why you have negative thoughts. We concentrate on where you want to be and what changes you want to see in your life.
- Hypnosis is designed to get your mind into a positive state. This is achieved in a very simple way through guided relaxation and visualisation. You use your mind in a different way, so that you can focus on the positive aspects of your life and shift your perspective.
Our brains are more than capable of rewiring themselves.
Recently a client came to see me and I was struck by the effectiveness of their treatment. After just two sessions their response to my question “What’s been good about your week?” was:
“Lots really. I thought about what you said and I decided to make the effort to do at least one positive thing every day.” Result!
In his book “You Are Not Your Brain” Dr. Jeffrey Schwartz, one of the world’s leading experts in neuroplasticity talks about:
“Using the power of focused attention, along with the ability to apply commitment, hard work and dedication to direct your choices and actions, thereby rewiring your brain to work for you and with your true self’.
If you would like to experience the benefits of positive thinking, and put anxiety and unhappiness behind you, book an initial consultation with me. I would love to help you move forward in your life.
Call or text me on 07850 995869 or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org